HEALTHCARE and YOU
Healthcare and disease are two very challenging concerns that many families are facing. The stats for the following healthcare illness is quite alarming.
- According to the American Heart Association, approximately 1 million American adults die annually of heart attack.
- An estimated half million Americans suffer strokes annually, thirty percent of which result in death.
- According to the American Cancer Society, 1 out of every 3 Americans (more than 86 million Americans alive today, will get cancer
- 1.35 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year
- 538,000 Americans will die of cancer this year.
- Arthritis is the number one cause of disability in the US.
- According to the Arthritis Foundation, 40 million Americans have arthritis
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, by 2020, 59.4 million Americans will have arthritis.
- According to the American Diabetes Association, 16 million Americans have diabetes
- 800,000 diabetics are insulin – dependent
- 400,000 people die each year from diabetes
- Each year 625,000 new cases of diabetes are diagnosed.
- According to national health statistics, 62 percent of Americans are overweight
- Many are obese, exceeding recommended weights by 25 percent or more.
- According to the Alzheimer’s Foundation, 4 million Americans suffer from Alzheimer’s disease
- 14 million Americans are expected to have Alzheimer’s by the year 2050
- One in 10 persons over 65 develops Alzheimer’s
- 50 percent of those over 85 develop Alzheimer’s.
Faced with the magnitude of ineffective healthcare and an increase in many diseases has resulted in the conventional medical system not being prepared to provide any solutions to address the problem.
Health care in the U.S. is currently in crisis mode and many people have lost confidence in medicine. Medical services are expensive, and insurance is becoming prohibitively costly.
The great majority of doctors are specialists in disease care, not in prevention and are primarily familiar with drugs and surgery. Thus preventing disease and designing healthcare programs to keep people healthy and well for life is not on the agenda. Instead the medical establishment is largely a business enterprise outside of the medical realm.
Health is not a medical condition, and physicians are not the gatekeepers of health and wellness. It is each of us who must take the responsibility to be our own gatekeepers.
Large numbers of people are venturing outside of the conventional medical arena in a quest to take back control to manage and promote their own health and well being. They are becoming much more active in finding ways to address their own health problems and concerns.
This signifies a profound shift toward self directed health care. In response to this shift, healthcare educators and providers are beginning to look seriously at non-traditional healthcare practices as a preventive healthcare tool. This is critically important, if conventional medicine is going to play any significant future role in keeping the aging population healthy. They must begin by understanding the connection of culture as it relates to prevention, fitness and wellness.
Focusing on the cultural link of non-tradition healthcare practices can be a big step in shaping the future for generations to come in living a long illness-free healthy lifespan.
Lifespan is how long you live. Healthspan is how long you stay healthy and well. Exercise, deep breathing, good water,nutritious food,sleep and relaxation is a necessity and not an option to make this work.
A healthy lifestyle begins to decline at around age 40 when age-related degenerative conditions begin to take their toll. Our task is to extend healthspan to match life span, so we stay healthy and well until we die.
In the quest for health, millions of Americans are turning to alternative and complementary therapies and products, including supplements, herbs, Reflexology, massage, energy healing and homeopathic medicines.
News media are now promoting the safety, efficacy and overall wellness benefits of these programs and products, and scientists continue to affirm that these approaches impart real health benefits that treat ailments ranging from indigestion to allergies.
A true healthy life style is a state of optimum wellness, abundant energy and a feeling of being whole and intact. It is an invigorating life giving force that must be managed daily. Since this is an unalterable fact of life, you might as well dive into this endeavor wholeheartedly, with a galvanized and enthusiastic determination to stay healthy and well for as long as you live.